These days it seems like every person you know is either downing kale smoothies or wearing some sort of step counter. While the products may change through the years (remember Zumba?), being fit and healthy isn’t just the latest fad. Fitness is a sustainable lifestyle choice that you need to make.
Maintaining a certain level of fitness is really good for you. By being active and eating the right foods, you automatically strengthen your body, mind and immune system.
What exactly is fitness?
We all want to be fit but what exactly does that mean? Do I have to commit to a two-hour workout session at the gym every day in order to maintain my fitness levels? That’s a little too intense, especially if you’re just starting out.
Fitness is a state of health and well-being which is generally achieved through proper nutrition, moderate-to-vigorous exercise (depending on your personal preference) and sufficient rest. Being physically fit means that your body has the ability and stamina to carry out daily activities without becoming fatigued.
How to increase your fitness levels
You don’t have to be a gym junkie to be fit. All you have to do is increase your physical activity in some way. This can be done by taking the stairs at work, carrying your groceries to your car, instead of using a trolley, taking up a sport or even going for a brisk walk.
If you want to go a little more hardcore to reach your fitness goals try joining a gym or signing up for Yoga classes. Alternatively you can invest in some exercise equipment that you can use at home. All you need is a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise a day to maintain a good level of fitness.
Remember that being fit can be lots of fun! This is because most physical activity – like sports, taking a dance class or going for a run – gives you the chance to unwind. You can also try taking up a group activity, like paintball or roller skating, that you can enjoy with family and friends in a fun and social setting.
Advantages of being fit
Being fit is like a magical cure for almost everything. It’s recommended for glowing skin, a better night’s sleep, and it has loads of physical health benefits too. Let’s take a look at some of the advantages of being fit:
- Being fit increases your stamina and energy levels.
- It reduces your risk of heart attacks and developing heart disease.
- You will find it easier to perform daily tasks like lifting heavy objects.
- Being fit leads to a lower level of bad cholesterol in your blood.
- You dramatically lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Being fit lowers your blood pressure.
- Your bones, muscles and joints will become stronger so decreasing your chances of developing osteoporosis.
- You will have a happier state of mind because exercise increases the level of endorphins (the feel-good hormones) in your brain.
- You will experience lower stress levels.
- You risk of injury is reduced because your body is physically stronger.
- Exercise will help to tone your muscles and increase your metabolism.
- Being fit can boost your confidence and self-esteem.
- Having a fitness-focused lifestyle can help you to achieve your weight-loss goals.
There is no set rule book for achieving fitness because everyone has different needs. While going to the gym may not be your thing, it’s important to remember that regular activity can improve your quality of life.
Doing some physical activity is better than doing nothing at all. So go for walk, dance like no one is watching, play with the dog, wash your own car – do anything to get moving!
If you’re thinking about starting a proper workout routine, it’s best to start with moderate workouts and gradually increase the intensity over time. Whatever type of activity you chose, the benefits are totally worth it. Toying with the idea of learning more about personal training and perhaps even becoming a personal trainer yourself? Trifocus Fitness Academy’s Personal Training Diploma – Platinum Package is the best way to start off on this career path! For more information visit our website.