The principle of holistic wellness maintains that an individual consists of three aspects: body, mind as well as spirit. These components need to be integrated as one in order for the person to be well. Thus, the ‘whole’ person must be evaluated and treated when there is a health concern. This philosophy differs from the traditional allopathic approach to health care which focuses more on the alleviation of symptoms. It is important to acknowledge that the course of treatment that is made use of is not holistic if the method is allopathic even though a natural method of healing is utilised.
What are the principles of wellness?
There are seven fundamental principles of wellness that are derived from research into disease outcome. The following principles are typical of those individuals who usually have good outcomes to disease:
Wellness is holistic
As opposed to focusing on symptoms it is vital to integrate body, mind and spirit as one whole person.
The self is the only true healer
Health professionals can only help to facilitate the healing process. It is your body, mind as well as spirit which do all the healing.
Wellness is your responsibility
See each illness as a lesson in achieving wellness rather than blaming yourself. Take credit for feeling good.
Positivity is empowering
Negative thinking strips you of power as well as control while positive thinking empowers you with answers, control in addition to the way out of illness as well as problems. All things are composed of equivalent amounts of positive and negative aspects. In everything is a blessing.
Wellness is an active process
Do not wait for good health just to happen or be reliant on someone else to fix your problems. You must be vigorously involved in your health in order to attain wellness. It is essential to ask and learn from your health-care provider.
Wellness is outcome-oriented
Do not become stuck by concentrating on problems. When you identify a problem put your energy into the solutions.
Prevention eliminates the need for treatment
It takes very little time, money as well as energy to prevent problems. Truly, an iota of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
What are the components of wellness?
Wellness includes the application of seven areas involved in health and disease. The following is a brief description of these seven components:
- Physical: Good health involves appropriate exercise, appropriate body composition as well as care of the body. Your body is your temple which means that you should treat it as such.
- Mental: It is important to recognise patterns of thinking, believing and feeling as well as behavioural factors in all health challenges. What you think, feel as well as believe dictates what happens to you.
- Spiritual: Everything happens for a reason and there is an important lesson in all things no matter how serious the problem. Bad cannot happen without good. It is important to search for the good in all illness.
- Nutritional: Nutrients are the ingredients in the recipe for life. Make sure that you have plenty of ingredients needed for recovery and optimum health. You are what you eat!
- Sleep: Good sleep hygiene is vital to life and for proper mental and physical health. It is required to grow, heal, restore energy, prepare the body for future demands, mental function and most life functions. If you don’t sleep well, you impair your waking life and health.
- Life skills: It is important to develop the skills and have the appropriate tools to do life. Knowing what not to does not mean a lot unless you know what to do and how to do it.
Life nowadays is challenging – to say the least. This means that you need to make sure that you are able to face these challenges well, which means keeping up your state of holistic wellness.
Do you wish to learn more about becoming a life coach who can assist you in maintaining a state of holistic wellness? Follow this link to find out more.