Bitter melon, or Goya, is usually used for helpful health reasons. Bitter melon is sometimes referred to as bitter gourd, Karela, or Balsam Pear. The melon has a very bitter taste, but it is a useful food. Bitter melon is frequently added to stir-fry’s, or may be eaten stuffed. It may also be included in the diet as a supplement. In order to receive the full health benefits, find and cook the melon regularly.
Just like the vegetable, the leaf of the karela plant has equal nutritious benefits. They are known for a plethora of health-benefiting properties. They are loaded with:
- Vitamin C,
- Vitamin A,
- Antioxidants, among others/
Karela leaves include hypoglycaemic properties that work medicinally in order to treat a variety of ailments, especially diabetes and high blood sugar. These leaves also protect our body from fluctuations, which is the root cause of modern lifestyle diseases. The leaves have antiviral, anti-microbial properties and are extremely effective for infectious diseases.
Here are some of the added nutritious benefits of Karela:
- Karela is said to have two time the calcium levels of spinach and beta-carotene that is found in broccoli. These contents are abundant in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties which can help your battle different diseases.
- Karela can reduce bad cholesterol and your risks of suffering from heart illnesses such as strokes.
- It improves respiratory health and assts your skin with glowing. This is because the Karela plan contains anti-ageing properties that make you look younger, as we’ve mentioned above.
- If you’re suffering from constipation then this is the best natural remedy for that. You can eliminate the bitterness from this vegetable through adding some salt to it and keeping it aside for 10 minutes.
- Karela is the very best natural weight loss food which you can add to your fitness diet. This is as this vegetable consists of low numbers of calories, fat and carbohydrates.
- This bitter vegetable reduces your hunger and keeps you full most frequently. This also aids in consuming the correct nutrition that is needed to curb your hunger for a couple of hours.
- If you’re suffering from acne, itchiness, rashes or any skin allergy, you need to eat karela as this will aid in better skin.
- Karela is a-must-add food for fitness enthusiasts.
Karela is a fruit which is in the gourd family with a unique look and flavour. It’s not only rich in a number of important nutrients but also linked to many health benefits, plus increased blood sugar control as well as cholesterol levels. Note that women who are pregnant, or on specific medications, — specifically blood sugar-lowering medications — should speak with their health-care provider before eating high amounts or taking supplements. Still, in moderation, Karela makes for a flavourful, nutritious, and easy addition to a healthy, well-rounded diet.
Keen on learning about the other nutritional benefits of foods such as karela? If you are then you should really do our Specialised Nutrition Course. For more information, please follow this link.